Skip to main content

Viacom Community Day!


Every year for the last 16 years Viacom has sponsored Viacom Community Day. Employees can volunteer to do some community service. The company makes T-Shirts, they offer breakfast, snacks and a wrap party. But really the fun part is the community service. I have worked there since 2006 and this was the first year I was able to participate because usually we are in the middle of blockbuster season meaning we are too busy to break for this event. This year I through caution to the wind and told my new boss I was participating. Luckily he didn't disagree so, yesterday, I was able to participate for the very first time and I am so glad I did. I had so much fun and not to mention the experience felt really good. Maybe I should do more community service, more often? hum?

Anyhoo, Viacom Community day not only happens at the Hollywood Studio but at our offices around the world. Since everyone was participating it was a little easier to leave my work behind for a few hours. I signed up for the on lot program. I knew I would be doing arts and crafts but really had no idea what exactly I would be doing. After a group of 50 us walked into a sound stage we saw about 25 tables or rather stations with various projects. The team leader walked us through and explained what each station was about. When we got to the last station, I knew I found my place for the morning. The last station was letter writing to solders overseas. Well, I just love to write so I volunteered for that site. 6 other people followed me and we all sat down to write. A lot of people didn't know how to start so I suggested we start by saying GREETINGS FROM HOLLYWOOD or GREETINGS FROM PARAMOUNT PICTURES. That seemed to get the ball rolling and we all had fun writing. My co-workers were teasing me because I appeared to write books. That's normal for me I told them. I sat at that station for about an hour and a half before moving on to make Mother's Day Photo Frames for kids to give to their mom's. My final station was working for Angel Food Project a homeless center that passes out food. They needed some Happy Birthday bags decorated so for 45 minutes I designed bags. Overall I worked from 9-noon and I have to say it was the most relaxing 3 hours of my entire work week!!! I wish I could do that every week! IN the afternoon at 3pm the company had a wrap party and had all kinds of snacks and food for everyone who helped out.

The one thing I discovered for the future is that you can never be too busy to help out the community. I don't care how busy I am next year, I am taking time to help out the community!! It does the soul good!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer DVD GIveaway Part 3

Ok, so who will be the first to respond today Vanessa or Toby? The competition is getting tough!!! Remember people I have 3 DVD's to give away daily. So make sure to play!! If you are just chiming in, you can find the answers in previous blogs or trust what the previous people have posted is correct and steal their answers. 1. What color was the robe the hub and I wore at Red Rock? 2. What item in my Red Rock Hotel room did I like the most? 3. What is the full name of the friend whose house we stayed at in Vegas? 4. Which cartoon character did I think the printer guy in Austria looked like? 5. Which Red Light District themed "lady" was my favorite?

Behind Door Number One

Have you ever watched those TV Game shows where they have a couple of doors and behind one is a grand prize? Well, this weekend the hub and I found out what was behind our Door #1. The hubby and I are starting the beginning phases of landscaping our backyard. Our first step, was to clean out the area behind our garage. When we moved in, there was about 2 feet of walking space behind our garage the rest of the area was covered in vines. Vines were growing on the roof and generally it was a mess. Not wanting the vines to take over the roof, we I started to clear out the vines last fall. But after we cut a million vines with only a pair of clippers we gave up and decided to clean out the rest in the spring. Spring came around and we didn't do much until one day when I was sick a few weeks ago, I ran into our gardener. I showed him the mess and asked if he knew of anyone who could come clean it out. I could tell he was actually, quite happy for me to broach the subject of

Summer DVD GIveaway Part 2

Five more questions. The first three to respond with correct answers by Midnight tonight wins a DVD from the ones I have. 1. What drink did I try to order in an Austrian Restaurant but was served sludge instead (two answers I will accept)? 2. What is the name of the hotel I stayed at in Amsterdam? 3. Who was the last person Brokencnady wished happy birthday to and who is that person in relation to lollipop? 4. What was the purpose of lollipop visiting Austria? 5. During my trip to Amsterdam for the trade show I saw a movie I later took my Husband to see the week after I returned which movie is it? GOOD LUCK!