Skip to main content

A Spot of Tea Sir?

Perhaps one of the most vivid memories I have of childhood are the afternoons I spent with my grandmother having tea parties with the little China set that had been passed down, broken pieces and all to me. I had many fun hours with grandma pretending to have tea with the Queen of England. Suffice to say, I have always had a soft spot for all things tea whether it is a mini tea set, a tea cup, or a box of tea. So when I was visiting the Pasadena Langham Hotel (think fancy) and spotted all these ladies having tea I knew I must go sometime. So flash forward a year and me being bored, I thought to myself, "Hey, maybe it's time for a little indulgence," maybe it's time for tea. So I made a reservation this past week. On Saturday, we put on Sunday best and hubby and I set forth to afternoon tea at the fancy Langham Hotel. The lounge at the Langham Hotel was much fancier than the little wooden table and chairs that Grandma and I used to have our parties. This party featured big, fluffy, plush chairs elegantly decorated in an old world pattern. The view from our window table offered a panoramic view of the hotel's Horseshoe Garden and surrounding San Marino county. Besides being beautifully decorated, there was a baby grand piano and a woman playing tunes that most everyone would recognize. My heart delighted at the scene. My grandma would love this place. The waitress sat us down and explained we could either have the traditional tea or the royal tea which included all the same items as the traditional tea but included champaign and strawberries with cream. After reviewing the menu and the amount of items that came with just the traditional meal we choose the traditional. For my tea, I ordered something new, a vanilla bean tea and the hubby ordered a pot of blackberry tea. href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh1SmWwUXz7i8hdRcpFLmbZne_LgM4Or724vV_wtnJI2YMfM01XIVF2jF3IFABZpSIm-XuGQkqyBlv8EyUaI0E1DNgQ1uru2ynW1uK9Mr2lMXUCyRe5GxBMwSWaqLHmmiqINEUbjQ/s1600/IMG_6624.JPG"> The key to a good tea is quality and having the perfect brew and the Langham complied in both instances. We both added a sugar cube and a little bit of cream. You know not because we prefer it that way but so we could play with all the little intruments that involved picking up a cube of tea and stirring cream. After our first cup of tea the waitress brought us a beautiful three tiered platter of prepared sandwiches, scones, cakes and tiny little deserts. a onblur="try {parent.deselectBloggerImageGracefully();} catch(e) {}" href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhwXjUdeC5eJjUMqgqykTPoGYHegp3Gm3SpHSIvmxlTcHCMe61vLLVwymcYd9oTKZHncwg2xNEjKD1nJLP2vmrIBeCgyLYXN03vK8kvwPuj0IwWoyM8BNWfVOZ6Qg0XUBMf05VbHA/s1600/IMG_6622.jpg">
The presentation was absolutely gorgeous!! Grandma would have really loved this tea party. I am afraid most of our tea parties involved the imagination and no actual tea nor treats. So we started with the first tier which was the sandwiches. The waitress was very accomadating to hubby's no seafood needs and gave him extra egg and cucumber sandwiches. That was very nice. The sandwiches were very tasty. I was trying to figure out which was my favorite from the egg salad, cucumber, bruchetta w/ caviar, and shrimp but I couldn't find one as they were all delightful. After the sandwiches we moved onto the scones and cakes. This is where the devonshire cream and fresh raspberry and blueberry jams and honey came in. I had several mouthfuls of all this yummy goodness!! As if that wasn't nice enough we had a third tier left full of some very yummy deserts. I loved the little creme brulees, french macaroons and the raspberry and lemon tarts.
By the time we were done we were completely stuffed!!! Everything was so very good. We had a very pleasant time and I especially loved the piano player who played so many good songs like "Somewhere in Time." I want to go back and try the Royal Tea and also the Sunday Tea. On Sundays they have a chocolate tea. Can you imagine Chocolate?? Yum! It was a great afternoon. My soul needed this little indulgance.

Comments

Unknown said…
I want to have high tea there. Looks really nice. I will take to you high tea in Hong Kong and you will take me to high tea in Pasadena. There are plenty of places in HK for high tea. After all, it was controlled by the Brit for many years.
Anonymous said…
Kelly, hope you had a great B-day yesterday. Thought of you all day. Anyway, everyone who know you thanks god for outing you on the earth. Just wanted you to know that.

Popular posts from this blog

Summer DVD GIveaway Part 3

Ok, so who will be the first to respond today Vanessa or Toby? The competition is getting tough!!! Remember people I have 3 DVD's to give away daily. So make sure to play!! If you are just chiming in, you can find the answers in previous blogs or trust what the previous people have posted is correct and steal their answers. 1. What color was the robe the hub and I wore at Red Rock? 2. What item in my Red Rock Hotel room did I like the most? 3. What is the full name of the friend whose house we stayed at in Vegas? 4. Which cartoon character did I think the printer guy in Austria looked like? 5. Which Red Light District themed "lady" was my favorite?

Behind Door Number One

Have you ever watched those TV Game shows where they have a couple of doors and behind one is a grand prize? Well, this weekend the hub and I found out what was behind our Door #1. The hubby and I are starting the beginning phases of landscaping our backyard. Our first step, was to clean out the area behind our garage. When we moved in, there was about 2 feet of walking space behind our garage the rest of the area was covered in vines. Vines were growing on the roof and generally it was a mess. Not wanting the vines to take over the roof, we I started to clear out the vines last fall. But after we cut a million vines with only a pair of clippers we gave up and decided to clean out the rest in the spring. Spring came around and we didn't do much until one day when I was sick a few weeks ago, I ran into our gardener. I showed him the mess and asked if he knew of anyone who could come clean it out. I could tell he was actually, quite happy for me to broach the subject of

Summer DVD GIveaway Part 2

Five more questions. The first three to respond with correct answers by Midnight tonight wins a DVD from the ones I have. 1. What drink did I try to order in an Austrian Restaurant but was served sludge instead (two answers I will accept)? 2. What is the name of the hotel I stayed at in Amsterdam? 3. Who was the last person Brokencnady wished happy birthday to and who is that person in relation to lollipop? 4. What was the purpose of lollipop visiting Austria? 5. During my trip to Amsterdam for the trade show I saw a movie I later took my Husband to see the week after I returned which movie is it? GOOD LUCK!