Skip to main content

Our Disney Vacation - Part 1

I have to count my lucky stars for "the good" that has come our way of late. In a wierd way, I attribute this good with the minute I met my husband. It seems my life has certainly been more charmed since meeting him. In the past year, we have been lucky in travel with free airline tickets to Amsterdam and then a free trip to Walt Disney World and a Disney Cruise. Either, I am getting the hang of feng shui, having a good run with karma or I have actually married the real Prince Charming!
One thing I do know is that I am blessed with an incredibly generous family. As previously mentioned in earlier blogs, my husband and I were recipients of a free trip from my mother-in-law, Faith (I call out the name because I am lucky to have two equally kind and generous mother-in-laws or rather, fairy god-mothers). For Christmas and also to celebrate our 3 year-old's first trip to Disney, she decided to take us kids to Disney World for a 4 days vacation at the parks and a 3 day vacation on a cruise ship. She even invited her husband's ex-wife and husband otherwise known as my hubby's mother. Yes, these quad of adults get along, like, really well. This trip as many of you know had been in the works for over a year. To say she loves Disney is not enough. I think she breaths Disney with every breath in her body. I refer to her as a Disney Freak. I only know one other person in my life who I give this term to and that is to my friend, Caroline. While Faith hearts the Florida Disney, Caroline hearts the California Disney. So said Florida Disney Freak (or Vacation Nazi as some who will remain unnamed call her - hehehe) planned and planned and planned. We would receive email updates asking us about our food choices, our extra curricular activity choices and travel preferences. Airfare, hotel, park tickets, food, snacks and even the tips for dinner were included in this gift. For Christmas we received two gift bags that had t-shirts made with our names on them and every little trinket you could think you would need for a trip to Disney. By the time we got to the airport on Jan 24th we were beyond excited about this trip. 6 of us got on the plane and 4 of us were seated in the very last row. By the time we took off we knew that the 5 other members of our party had already gotten on a plane in Fresno and had taken off but their plane returned to the airport for mechanical issues. Gloating that our party would arrive first as we were the direct flight, we board the plane. Reaching our seats all the way in the back we settle in for what was to become a rather annoying ride. You see about half way in as we were eating our lunch a boy of about 13 sitting in front of us, starts to puke. not a little but a lot. And the puking went on forever. The stewardess didn't even help clean it up. The mother had to do it. The boy's younger brother was covered in vomit having being the unlucky person sitting next to him. He looked like he wanted to kill his brother. All of us in viewing range were not so pleased either. As you can imagine when you are eating lunch, watching someone puke is the last thing you want to see. The mother demanded the 13 year old stay in the bathroom until the plane landed. The other bathroom was then backed up for the remaining trip so we hade people in our faces. Not to mention the unpleasantness of hearing people pee for hours and the smell of lingering vomit. It never occurred to me that we might get sick after being so close to the vomiting teenager. We still were going to arrive in Florida before the other group and at least now we had a story to tell to when we caught up to them. So we land about 6pm and take a Disney Magical bus to The Beach Club Resort. Imagine a herd of people much like when Harry Potter leaves for school at the airport waiting in 7 different numbered lines waiting for the bus that will take them to the magic. That was us. We arrive at the beach Club and check into our various rooms. Yes, we were lucky to get our own room per couple! Our hotel cards get loaded up with 20 snack credits and 30 dining credits. The hub and I unpack our belongings and head to JIKO's a South African restaurant in the Animal Kingdom Lodge. The others go to BOMO another South African Restaurant but not as fancy. We have a glorious 4-point meal (we were lucky to dine there once before). We ate our appetizers, drank our drinks, ate the main entrees and packed in the dessert. After dinner we finally meet up in Faith's room with all the other travelers and have some cocktails and recount our travel stories. Feeling good about our trip we go to bed. The next day we get up put on our group t-shirt and head to Hollywood Studios which was renamed from the MGM studios. We spend the morning looking at this 3-year-old boy discover the magic of Disney. I don't think he had been educated much in Disney having passions for Thomas the Train, Dora the explorer and other non-Disney toons. But you should have seen this kids eyes as he discovered Disney. He knew he was going to Florida to ride some rides but he had no idea what Disney really was. Well, he sure learned. And each day he was there he got more and more excited. We enjoyed lunch at the Sci-Fi drive in where we sat in cars while watching old 50's sci-fi movie trailers. After lunch the hub and I hung out at Hollywood Studios while clayton and the Grandparents went back to the resort to enjoy the pool. The Hub and I had fun meeting Mickey and the Incredibles, attending the test run of the American Idol Expereience which wouldn't be open to the public until February 2009 and riding the new Toy Story ride. Then our fancy dinner was screwed up by the restaurant. We were told to show up at 8pm but the place had closed so we ended up at 50's Prime Time Cafe where the waiters yell at you for not eating your vegetables. At this point we already had to make up 4 meal credits and now we had 6 credits to use. We were able to reschedule our fancy dinner at the Brown Derby for another night (back down to 4 extra credits) and since we had like the 50's place everything was ok. We ate dinner at 10pm and were in bed at midnight. Sometime between midnight and morning evil little germs were brewing in the hub's and I's tummy's. He got up a lot that night. In the morning I felt the fog horn blow and suddenly we were making a lot of trips to the bathroom. It was disgusting. So there began our Disney Ebola.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer DVD GIveaway Part 3

Ok, so who will be the first to respond today Vanessa or Toby? The competition is getting tough!!! Remember people I have 3 DVD's to give away daily. So make sure to play!! If you are just chiming in, you can find the answers in previous blogs or trust what the previous people have posted is correct and steal their answers. 1. What color was the robe the hub and I wore at Red Rock? 2. What item in my Red Rock Hotel room did I like the most? 3. What is the full name of the friend whose house we stayed at in Vegas? 4. Which cartoon character did I think the printer guy in Austria looked like? 5. Which Red Light District themed "lady" was my favorite?

Behind Door Number One

Have you ever watched those TV Game shows where they have a couple of doors and behind one is a grand prize? Well, this weekend the hub and I found out what was behind our Door #1. The hubby and I are starting the beginning phases of landscaping our backyard. Our first step, was to clean out the area behind our garage. When we moved in, there was about 2 feet of walking space behind our garage the rest of the area was covered in vines. Vines were growing on the roof and generally it was a mess. Not wanting the vines to take over the roof, we I started to clear out the vines last fall. But after we cut a million vines with only a pair of clippers we gave up and decided to clean out the rest in the spring. Spring came around and we didn't do much until one day when I was sick a few weeks ago, I ran into our gardener. I showed him the mess and asked if he knew of anyone who could come clean it out. I could tell he was actually, quite happy for me to broach the subject of

Summer DVD GIveaway Part 2

Five more questions. The first three to respond with correct answers by Midnight tonight wins a DVD from the ones I have. 1. What drink did I try to order in an Austrian Restaurant but was served sludge instead (two answers I will accept)? 2. What is the name of the hotel I stayed at in Amsterdam? 3. Who was the last person Brokencnady wished happy birthday to and who is that person in relation to lollipop? 4. What was the purpose of lollipop visiting Austria? 5. During my trip to Amsterdam for the trade show I saw a movie I later took my Husband to see the week after I returned which movie is it? GOOD LUCK!